HOMELAND SECURITY THEATER – The War on Lemons
Aug 23, 2011 by Robert Fernandes
VISIT HOMELAND SECURITY THEATER:
When Life Gives Lemons… apply for a food & drink permit with the Board of Health, a peddler’s license with the state, get fully insured and make lemonade!
Nothing warms the heart quite as much as a story about a bunch of girls who want to spend their summer having adventures at the local water park. They buy some ingredients, set up a lemonade stand and earn some money for their summer of fun. In the end they learn about being self sufficient, they learn the value of a dollar and they learn that working hard for the things you want makes it all that more special. Then they are shut down by the police for operating a food service establishment without a proper business license and permits.Think I’m joking? I’m not. What’s more, this isn’t an isolated incident. This is becoming a trend across the nation. In most of these cases the cities cite ordinances pertaining to health inspections.
- Three girls in McAllen, Texas
- 7 year old girl in Oregon
- 10 year old in Miami Beach, Florida raising money for charity
- Cancer charity’s lemonade stand in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 8 year old in California
- Wilkes-Barre, PA threatened a Brownie fundraiser for victims of Hurricane Katrina
- 10 and 12 year olds in St. Louis, Missouri trying to save money for a computer
- 9 and 11 year old in Salem, Massachusetts
- 7 year old in St. Paul, Minnesota’s
- 9 and 10 year old in New York
- Midway, Georgia
- Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Naples, Florida
The list goes on. They have even gone after kids selling Girl Scout Cookies. I love Girl Scout cookies! Especially those Mint Chocolate ones!
Last Saturday, August 20th, 2011, some folks decided to protest this craziness on Capitol Hill. They set up a lemonade stand in front of the Capitol and sold some lemonade. They were then arrested of course.
This left me a little sour. They stood up for freedom and are now sitting in jail for their beliefs. Oh well, you know what they say, when life gives you lemons…
Here are some of the nice Lemonade Liberators Meg Mclain, Kathryn Dill and Will Duffield being arrested for selling 10 cent lemonade! Visit lemonadefreedom.com for more!! …Land of the free, people!